Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ready Or Not!

    Well, we made it to February.  It seemed so far away last July.  I thought my waist was big then and I thought that this month would never get here.  What did I know?  Sometime last month Jeremy told me that the pregnancy has gone by fast.  I couldn't help but roll my eyes.  Eight months of anything is a long time.  It had not flown by for me and we still had a month to go.  One more month of rolling out of bed, covering this growing belly, using heating pads for a sore back, and smiling politely but secretly wanting to kick the  fools saying "Oh you must be due any day now."   Then February came along and I realized that the Big Day is almost here.  So I guess looking back it did go by quickly.  Hard to believe that he will be here so very soon.
  We are working hard to prepare for baby.  Jeremy has installed the car seat bases in both cars, set up the Pack'N'Play, tested the monitors, and made sure we both know how to use a Diaper Genie.  He has the hospital route mapped out and I can see the wheels turning in his head when he talks about getting us to the hospital.  He is a man with plan, that's for sure.  I have the bags packed and ready to go.  I have washed and put away clothes, blankets, hats, socks, and toys, created a changing station that I think will be functional (I fully expect to change it around completely once he gets here because let's face it do I really know what I'm doing?), spent lots of time making his little room a comfortable and peaceful place.  I love it in there.  I especially love the comfy glider.  Jeremy finds me in there often just reading a book.  Speaking of books we have been reading like college kids cramming for a final.  I have The Breastfeeding Book and What To Expect on my night stand while Jeremy has Baby 411 and The Happiest Baby on the Block on his side.  We spent some time the other night watching how to soothe and swaddle a baby on YouTube.
   Wednesday nights have been dedicated to Lamaze classes.  This is not your mama's Lamaze.  We haven't learned much about breathing.  We have learned a lot about interventions for labor and different comfort techniques.  We haven't had to watch any scary bad 80's birthing videos which is great.  Why see something you are going to live?  The tour of the hospital was interesting.  We were just walking around going "Oh my goodness!  This is so real!  Can we do this? We have to do this.  I wanna go home!"  We go for our final class tonight where we will learn about breastfeeding.
  With all this baby prep we should be totally prepared, right?  Hardly!  We have realized you can prepare and read and ask 101 people for advice, but I don't think we will ever feel prepared.  I mean our parents didn't have YouTube, Diaper Genies, all these books, the Internet so how did they do it?  Instinct.  Everyone says it just comes and I trust that it will.  We will make some mistakes along the way, but as long as we are in this together we will make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment