Saturday, January 14, 2012

25 Things Pregnacy Has Taught Me

25.  I like Frank's Hot Sauce.  No I LOVE Frank's Hot Sauce and think that it should go on everything.
24.  Maternity clothes are not as bad as I thought.  In the beginning I fought the idea of rocking an elastic band, but some days I think I might never go back to buttons and zippers.   There are still some questionable maternity designs out there (stripes should always be used with caution), but overall I have found some cute stuff to dress the bump.
23.  I miss Belks.  Two things have changed in my Belk world.  First of all I can't shop there at the moment so the thrill of finding an awesome top for an additional 75%, then using a Belk Reward dollar, and only paying $8.34 for something you really don't need, but you probably should have because it is such a great deal is gone.  It's no fun to buy something and not wear it immediately.  The second reason that I miss Belks is that I am learning that budgeting is kind of  important and all my money should not go to clothes.  I hear babies are expensive.
22.  Baby stuff is overwhelming and expensive.  Who knew a little person would need so much stuff?  I thought I was excessive with my  5 step face washing routine.  And all baby stuff is so expensive.  Granted he will only need food (got that covered, literally, haha, I crack myself up), diapers, warm clothing, and a place to sleep.  At first I was pulled in by the cuteness of it all, but now as the room fills up with "stuff", I realize that this is going to have to be a necessary only operation.  I mean do we really need a wipe warmer?
21.  Getting up off the couch can be hard with some extra weight on your ass (your arms, thighs, you get the picture) is hard.  I get winded just from swinging my legs around to begin to get up.  I would have hoped that my arms would have become more toned from pushing myself up, but alas they have gotten bigger as well.
20.  Waking up in the middle of the night is annoying, but I keep thinking that it is prepping me for being up all night with little bit.  Jeremy usually doesn't move when I get up so he might be in for a rude awakening.  Again I crack myself up.  I am pretty lucky that I can get back in bed at a reasonable pace, adjust myself, and go back to sleep for a few more hours until round 2, 3, and 4.
19.  Pillows make you comfortable, but man are they a pain to adjust every night.  I currently sleep with 6 pillows.  Three to prop up my head, two under my back, and one body pillow.  For some reason they get all out of whack and need to be readjusted consonantly.  I should just label them to make the process run quicker.  At one point poor Jeremy was sleeping with one pillow and woke up with a neck pain that lasted a few days.  Poor guy.  We later learned that WalMart has pillows on sale for $10.  Not he sleeps on two and feels like a king on nights when he scores a third pillow.
18.  You can get a lot done if you get up early.  I used to love to sleep in on the weekends.  Now I'm  up by 7:30 on weekends.  I usually feel rested and ready to get up  It's amazing what you can accomplish if you don't spend the day sleeping.  I woke up at 6:00 this morning thinking that I need to blog.  On the flip side that also means you can't make it through a movie that was started at 7:30.
17.  Nesting ain't no joke.  It's a blessing and a curse.
16.  Feet swelling ain't no joke either.  Despite the massive amounts of water I drink I still swell.  Being on my feet all day at school doesn't help either.  I bought some compression stockings to try but do not love them.  I feel like I am going to fall over and pass out just to trying get them on.  The idea of wrestling them throughout my daily bathroom breaks makes me tired.
15.  Pregnant people can wear flip flops whenever they want.  It does not matter it is freezing.  I would rather be cold and comfortable that have my feet be hurting and warm.
14.  I am losing my mind.  As I type this I am thinking maybe I should just do a top ten list because I am only on number 18.  No, I just forgot that the list was in descending order.  To #13 we go.
13.  Did I mention that I am losing my mind?  Seriously, it is bad when you are scared to be alone with your misplaced thoughts and you can't remember what someone asked you 3 seconds ago.
12.  I just forgot about descending order again.  See what I mean!?!!?
11.  First graders are very sweet even though they stress me out and drive me crazy.  I was very upset about changing grade levels in a year that I was pregnant.  But it has been such a blessing.  The kids are so sweet, my grade level team is a true team that love working together, and it was a refreshing change from 2nd grade.
10.  Nesting can happen anywhere.  Home, work, grocery store, even at other people's homes.  Just ask before you start reorganizing someone's pantry.  The "I'm pregnant" card can only get you so far.
9.  The "I'm pregnant" card works.  A man on a plane asked to switch seats with me so he could sit next to his wife.  I usually would oblige, but I was on the aisle and needed to be ready to get to the restroom.  I could totally read the five letter word he was calling me in his mind.  When I got up to let his wife in her seat he saw "the bump."  He immediately turned red, motioned to the bump, and said "Sorry, I didn't realize."  That's right big boy.  RESPECT THE BUMP!!
8.  People say stupid things to pregnant people.  My favorites: "Oh you are so big!"  "Do you think you can fit there?"  "You are about to pop!" "You have grown so much since I saw you last."  The list goes on.
7.  People say even more stupid things when they realize that they have said something stupid and try to fix it.  Do yourself a favor and follow the Ken Crow method.  "You look radiant.  Can I get you anything?"
6.  I move too fast and slowing down to take a break is ok.  Still learning this lesson, but getting better everyday.
5.  There are a few things I thought I would miss I really don't miss.  I can go without sushi and nacho cheese sauce and survive.  Good to know.
4.  I cannot go without coffee.  A girl has to get her kicks somehow.
3.  I can enjoy ONE glass of wine occasionally and be content.  It might take two hours to sip.  Each sip might be chased with 3 gulps of water.  But it is damn good.  I do miss wine though...
2.  I love my husband more than I did the day I married him.  Even though he rolls his eyes at my hot sauce guzzling, pillow stacking, losing my mind self he is wonderful.  He is the reason things have been running smoothly.  He takes care of me and this baby without batting an eye.  He gets so delighted each time this baby kicks and responds to his voice.  Those moments of watching him get so excited are some of the best moments in my life.
1.  I can't wait to meet this little guy.  He is going to change our lives for the better and it will make all the gripes and aches of pregnancy worth it.  I love this little man so much.  He has already taught me so much about love, patience, and how to better take care of myself.  He is a true gift from God.  And that is the best thing I have learned about pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment