Living far away from family and friends can be hard. Keeping up to date with family and friends can be even harder! The purpose of this blog is to keep in touch with all the special people in my life near, far, old, and new. Welcome to Williams' Wall!
Friday, August 5, 2011
First Grade, huh?
I love teaching and I do it for the money...Just Kidding. But I do love teaching and have ever since I began my career 8 years ago. I have taught 2nd grade for 6 years and 3rd grade for 1 year. My journey as a teacher has been exciting, scary, frustrating, rewarding, but most of all fun. Each year offers its own set of challenges. I remember being so overwhelmed my first year wondering if I was going to make it to Spring Break, crying when I had to transfer schools for the third year in a row (love those budget cuts!), and thinking that I should be committed for attempting National Boards and planning a wedding in the same year. With each challenge I was dramatic, complained A LOT, and questioned my decision to become a teacher. But I not only survived, but came out a better, stronger teacher. Today I was presented with a new challenge. I received a call from my principal asking me to move grade levels. My first response was NO!!! I have already been up to school and set up my classroom for 2nd grade. Not only would I bee changing grade levels, but rooms as well. The idea of moving 7 years worth of stuff one room down the hall is very frustrating. Not to be one to take things calmly I made my way up to school to ask one question...Why? I was told that my principal believed that I could handle the challenge and make the transition smoothly. He must not know me very well because I do not do well with change. I smiled and told him the truth. I will work just as hard in whatever grade I teach, I am grateful to have a job, I will come to work with a smile on my face, but I am not happy. I walked down to my new room and took a deep breath as my new challenge sunk in. Yes, I am sad to leave 2nd grade because I loved teaching 2nd grade. But I was placed at this school, with these coworkers and students, and, now, placed in this grade level for a reason. This is just another challenge in my career that will make me a stronger, more effective teacher. I am sure that when I retire on my island with all the money I have made as a teacher I will laugh at myself for being nervous about this challenge. I will be spending the next few days studying, planning, and thinking about the upcoming year. And I know that in a few years this challenge will be just another part of my teacher journey that made me into a better teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment